1 1/2 cups cooked rice(fresh or left overs)
1 1/2 tsp. dried red chilli flakes
Salt to taste
1 tsp. finely minced garlic
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. dried Italian herbs or fresh parsley chopped finely
1/2 cup, Mozzarella cheese cubed and chopped to 1" pieces
1 tsp. olive oil
For the coating:
1/3 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs mixed with salt, garlic and dried herbs
olive oil or any oil
Ragu sauce or any sauce to add to enhance the flavor of the rice balls
- Heat a tbsp. of live oil and fry the garlic just for a few sec. Remove from the fire. In a bowl add the cooked rice, salt, dried red chilli flakes, freshly ground pepper, Italian herbs of Parsley leaves, fried minced garlic with oil and mix together very well using hands. Now add in the grated Parmesan cheese and mix well. Also add Ragu sauce or any flavouring sauce u may wish to add at this stage and combine well.
- Now divide the rice into equal sized balls. Now take one of the rice balls and insert a cheese cube in the middle. Cover the balls properly to form a perfect round ball with no peaking of cheese. Rest the rice balls in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Break the egg, whip it slightly in one bowl. In an another bowl take the all purpose flour and breadcrumbs in another bowl. Take the rice balls from the fridge and leave it on the counter.
- Heat a sauce pan with at least 1 inch of oil and heat to medium hot, not piping or flaming hot.
- Take the rice ball, dip in the egg mixture to coat evenly. Then into the all purpose flour, roll them all sides and finally with the bread crumbs to coat all the sides. Place it on a separate plate.
- Drop the rice balls one by one, may be 3 at a time to fry. Flip the balls every now and then to fry them evenly to a golden brown colour and a crispy texture.
- Drain them and place on a kitchen tissue to absorb the excess oil. Serve hot with Ketchup or any chutney as per choice.
Note: By mistake I've typed Aranchini in some places and in some pics, sorry for that. Correct spelling is ARANCINI