Mughlai Chicken - Grilled chicken cooked in a creamy nuts gravy
- Chicken - 350 gms
- Turmeric powder - a pinch, optional ( I like to add as it is an anti- bacterial ingredient)
- Red chilli powder - 1/8 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/8 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Curd/Yoghurt - 1 tsp
For the gravy:
- Onion paste, cooked - from 1 medium sized, preferably red onion
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cashews - 8 no, soaked
- Almonds - 8 no, soaked
- Kas kas - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Nutmeg powder - just a pinch
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 1/4 tsp
- Heavy/whipping cream - 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Salt - to taste
- Green chilly - 2 nos.
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 1 1/4 tbsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 " piece
- Cloves - 2 nos.
- Cardamom - 1 no.
- Mace - 1 small piece
- Shah jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1 no.
- Marinate the chicken with salt, ginger garlic paste, curd, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, ghee and coriander powder. Combine well and keep inside the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Making Onion paste:
3. Soak the kas kas in hot water for 10 minutes. Soak the cashews, almonds separately in hot
water for 1/2 an hour. Peel the skin of the almonds and grind it with cashews and kas kas with very little water to a fine paste.
- Heat a tawa with a tsp of ghee and fry the marinated chicken pieces to light brown in colour. It's ok, if it gets browned, it would be good if it resembles as it was grilled. And that's what this recipe demands.
- Switch off the heat and get on with the next step.
- Heat ghee in a pan, do the seasoning with cinnamon, cloves, cardamom , lace , shah jeera , bay leaf until it gets fried.
- To this, add the cooked onion green chilly paste, ginger garlic paste and fry for minutes on medium low flame.
- Now add the nuts paste to the masala and fry for a minute. Keep stirring otherwsie the mixture would stick to the bottom. At this stage add the garam masala powder, nutmeg powder, coriander powder, salt to the gravy mixture and fry for another one minute.
- Pour little water to the mixie jar to get the remaining of the nut paste and add this water to the gravy , add almost 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook the gravy for 5 minutes. Now add the grilled chicken pieces and the heavy whipping cream to the masala. Combine well. Cover and cook the chicken mughlai for 2 to 3 minutes until the consistency is semi thick, and coats the back of the spoon.
- Sprinkle the coriander leaves and switch off. Serve hot with Phulkas, Roti/ Naan.
- This gravy is kinda bland as it has nuts and heavy cream, even though I've added 2 green chilly, it was quite bland for our taste buds. So , if you want this gravy to be little spicy to the bite, add 3 to 4 green chilly on the whole for the recipe.
- The gravy is totally off white in colour but mine is slightly pale yellow in shade as I've added turmeric powder while marinating the chicken.
Recipe barely adapted from here