- Basmati rice -- 3 tbsp
- Milk -- 3 cups
- Salt -- a pinch
- Sugar -- 3/4 cup
- Saffron -- 3 to 4 strands
- Almonds -- 1/4 cup, blanched n soaked
- Roasted almonds/ Pistachios(crushed) -- for garnishing
- Cardamom powder -- a big pinch
- Mango pulp -- 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Sugar --1/4 cup, add acc to taste
- Agar agar powder -- 1/8 tsp(optional)
- Soak basmati rice in water for 1 to 2 hours. If Almond is raw, soak it for 4 hours, remove the skin and make it ready. Soak the saffron in little bit of warm milk in a small bowl.
- Grind the almonds to a fine paste using little milk and then add the soaked basmati rice and grind it very coarsely. Keep it handy.
- Now boil the milk till it comes a boil and then slowly add the ground rice and nuts mixture into the boiling milk , not to forget that the flame/heat should be in low.
- Slowly stir in the ground mixture without forming lumps and make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Gently cook the Almond phirni on medium low flame for 7 to 10 minutes till it slightly gets thick and also in pourable consistency but not watery.
- Now add in the sugar,salt and cook again for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the saffron mixture and the cardamom powder and stir together well. Switch off the stove and bring the phirni to room temperature.
- Pour the phirni in a glass and chill it in the refrigerator.
For Mango Glaze:
- In a pan add the agar agar with little amount of water and cook until it turns watery and glossy. ( this step is optional if u don't use agar agar)
- Add in the pulp and the sugar and cook until it's foamy and just starts to get bubbles on top. Switch off the flame. Keep stirring the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the mango glaze on top of the phirni and keep it inside the fridge for 1/2 hour to 1 hour and add the crushed nuts mixture on top and serve chilled.
- Adding agar agar is not essential, I wanted to give a slight jelly like texture to the pudding.
- I din't add saffron mixture as I wanted to retain that milky white colour to go with the Mango.
- Do not add more rice, add 1 tbsp for each cup of milk.