Semolina/Sooji/Rava --250 gm
Sugar --150 gm (3/4 cup)
Butter,melted -- 100 + 50 gm
Unsweetened dessicated coconut -- 1/2 cup (if not freshly shredded coconut)
Vanilla extract -- 1 tsp
Yogurt,plain -- 1/2 cup
Baking powder -- 1 tsp
For garnishing :
Almonds -- as needed
For Sugar syrup:
Sugar -- 3/4 cup
Water -- 1/2 cup
Lemon juice -- 1/2 tsp
Rose water -- 1/2 tsp ( add as 1 tsp if u like the flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F
- Mix the rava with 100 gm of melted butter. Add the sugar ,coconut ,baking powder and blend well.Followed by the yogurt and vanilla extract . Mix well until it gets incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the greased / lined with parchment paper cake pan (preferably 9/10") and level the top either by tapping the pan or by using a spatula.Now mark (not all the way through) diamonds/squares halfway thro and bake for 20 minutes.
- Take out the pan , press one almond on top of each square /diamond and spread the remaining 50 gm of melted butter evenly all over the cake.Again bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
For Sugar syrup :
- Meanwhile,mix the sugar with water and heat over a medium flame. Add the lemon juice when the sugar is completely dissolved and starts bubbling.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Add the rose water and mix well.
- Pour the hot syrup on top of the cake (pour evenly) and let it soak for at least 2 hours. Make the cuts (diamonds/squares) a little deeper when the cake is till warm.
- Tastes better the next day cos of the soaking.
- Since this is my second time making this dessert I halved the recipe and skipped pouring the 50gm butter ,on the whole I used only 50 gm butter for making this cake + some extra for greasing the pan.
- I also used only 4 tbsp sugar for making syrup and so I had very little syrup and in turn the cake was not too sweet as it has to be.
- The cake would turn real golden brown and it will be rich in looking as well unlike mine.
- Almonds were out of stock in my pantry and so I skipped adding it.
- Recipe adapted from here
Happy eating guys,