Chicken -- 3/4 kg
Ginger garlic paste -- 2tsp
Green chillies,minced -- 2 tsp (acc to taste)
Mint leaves -- 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves -- 1/2 cup
Garam masala -- 3/4 tsp
Salt -- to taste
Onions -- ghee fried , around a cup
Tomatoes -- 2 nos. medium
Basmati Rice -- 2 cups
Lemon juice -- half a lemon
Mint leaves -- half a cup ,washed n cleaned
Coriander leaves -- half a cup ,washed n cleaned
Cloves,cardamom,cinnamon,bay leaves,cumin seeds -- each 2 nos.
Cashews ,raisins -- each 2 tbsp ,roasted in ghee
Rose water -- 2 tsp
For garnishing :
Onions -- 5 nos ,julienne
Ghee -- 3 tbsp
Saffron -- few strands
Milk -- 2 tbsp
- Heat a biryani pan with 3 tbsp ghee and fry the sliced onions till they golden brown. Remove from the ghee and spread it on a plate lined in a kitchen tissue. Fry the cashews n raisins in the remaining ghee and keep it separately.
- In the same ghee ,add the chopped tomatoes along with lil bit of salt and cook till they break down and get cooked. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 minutes in medium flame.Throw in the minced green chillies and mix well for a minute.
- Add the chicken pieces once the green chillies started changing colour and cook in the masala for few seconds. Add a cup of water to the chicken masala and combine well. Sprinkle the mint leaves on top ,cover with a lid and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Open the pan , add a cup of ghee fried onions to the chicken ,clsoe the pan with th lid and gain cook for 2 minutes.Later, switch off the flame and add the garam masala powder ,coriander leaves and lemon juice and combine thoroughly .
Now making rice :
- Soak the basmati rice for 30 minutes.
- Boil 8 cups of water with a tbsp of ghee/oil added along with cinnamon,cumin,cardamom,bay leaves and add the soaked rice. Cook the rice to almost 80 % ,now at this stage add in the rose water to the rice and mix well. Again cook the rice till it's 90% done..
Layering the rice :
- Keep the chicken masala mixture over medium low flame as we are going to make 2 process simultaneously.
- Now drain the rice completely and layer the chicken masala with the cooked rice,spreading evenly.
- Top it with the remaining fried onions, cashews and raisins.
- Finally sprinkle the saffron milk ( dissolve few strands of saffron in warm milk ,rest for 10 minutes earlier) across and close the pan with a lid . Keep some heavy weight on top of the lid and cook over low flame (dum) for 10 minutes /until it's done.
- Carefully mix the rice and serve with chicken ghee roast.