I know am not regular to the small (big) world of blogging of mine as I've not settled yet. Still touring in my native place and hopefully I'll return to normal mode by very early week of next month. We've not yet started our deewali sweet making as well.. I should say thanks to many of my blogging buddies who sincerely asked my absence and left me a word.I'm really really touched and overwhelmed at the same time, in a good way. Thanks a lot gals.. Coming to the recipe, I just blindly followed this recipe but with alterations in the quantity given..It tasted great and I received some good compliments as well.
Ingredients :Thuvar dhal -- 2/3 cups
Shallots/sambar onion -- 10 nos.
Green chillies -- slit opened
garlic -- 1 clove
Tamarind -- pebble sized
Jaggery -- 1/2 tsp, [powdered]
Vegetables of ur choice-- carrot, brinjal, pumpkin,drumsticks, okra etc
Salt -- to taste
Turmeric powder -- a pinch
Hing -- a big pinch
For tadka :Oil -- 2 tsp
Mustard seeds -- 1 tsp
Curry leaves -- a sprig
Red chillies -- 1 no. , broken
To garnish :Coriander leaves
Sambar Masala Powder :Dry red chillies -- 5 nos.
Fresh coconut -- 1/2 cup, shredded
Urad dal -- 2 tsp
Channa dhal -- 1 tsp
Coriander seeds -- 1 tbsp or 2 tsp
Cumin seeds -- 1 tsp
fenugreek seeds -- 1/4 tsp
- Pressure cook the thuvar dhal with few drops of oil , hing, garlic and turmeric powder until they turns soft, might take 10 minutes.
- Dry roast the spices given to make sambar powder, one by one, to a slight golden brown and rest for few mts. Then grind them to afine powder and reserve for further use.
- Now , pour in a tsp of oil and add the shallots ,saute well. Throw in the green chillies and the tomatoes. Mix well until the tomatoes turns soft. Add in all the cut vegetables one by one and add the required salt.This would take min 7 mts depending on the veggie's used.
- Mix in the tamarind pulp and stir well. Add half cup of water and cook the vegetables until they turn soft to the touch.
- Add in the ground sambar powder and mix well with the veggie's. Give them a rapid boil.Finally add in the cooked thuvar dhal , completely mashed, to the sambar mix. Combine thoroughly and let them again boil till we do the thadka.
- Heat a smal pan with oil and do the seasoning with mustard seeds, curry leaves and broken chillies. Transfer the seasoning mixture to the kulambu and mix well once again . Add the coriander leaves. Switch off the stove once u reach the desired sambar consistency. Goes good with rice n all tiffin items.