I's really really craving for this cake for many years after coming to US. My desire to eat this cake went up when I's pregnant with baby A. Seriously, we have some Indian bakeries here, but none of them makes it perfectly, rather, not up to the mark.
Those were really bitter and awful, I should say. So, every time I visit a new grocery / Indian /Pakistani store, I would check for tutti frutti (This really makes the cake taste better when u take a bite ..Well, that's me and that's my perspective)..Finally, I got my tutti frutti in my nearby grocery chain store.. Then what?? Who stops me from baking this cake?!!
Tutti frutti -- 1/2 cup
( else , add any dried fruits such as apricots,dates,cherries,plums,currants)
Raisins -- 1/4 cup
Nuts -- 1/4, chopped
( Almond, cashews, walnuts, pecans ..either of these or combo of all )
Eggs -- 3 nos.( @ room temp )
Baking powder -- 2 tsp
Vanilla extract --1 tsp
Sugar -- 1 cup
Butter, unsalted -- 1 stick ( 113 gms) ( @ room temp )
All spice powder -- 1/2 tsp
Grated lemon zest -- 1/2 tsp
Salt -- 1/2 tsp
To make caramel :
Water -- 1 tbsp
Warm water -- 1/4 cup
To make caramel :
- Mix the 1/4 cup of sugar with 1 tbsp of water and melt over medium low flame until the sugar dissolves and caramelizes. At one stage, they will start changing colours from light to dark brown colour. Now remove the pan from the heat and add the 1/4 cup of warm water slowly and mix well. ( be careful, this will splatter everywhere, so be extra careful ). Add 1 tsp of vanilla extract and mix well the caramel and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F .Sieve the APF , baking powder,all spice powder, salt and combine altogether evenly. Keep it handy.Add a tbsp of all purpose flour to the fruits n nuts mix and coat it evenly.
- Cream the butter and a cup of sugar until pale and creamy. Then drop the eggs one at a time and beat well . Now add the flour mixture lil by lil and run the hand mixer until u finish off with the flour
- Add the caramel mixture and fruits/ nuts mixture, grated lemon zest into the batter and mix them thoroughly.
- Grease a medium baking pan with butter and pour the batter. Bake for 50 to 60 mts. (Note : Ovens may vary )
- Cool the cake for 15 minutes and cut into slices n serve.
Notes / Suggestions :
- U may add 2 eggs and 1/4 cup of milk to make the cake, if u kinda feel more eggyy
- Unfortunately I baked the cake a little over the time due to my situation. But that doesn't hamper the outcome for my preference.
- Be sure to watch the cake once u cross 45 minutes. Insert a toothpick and it comes out clean if the cake is baked.
- Be very careful while adding warm water to the caramel syrup .
- Omit the salt if using salted butter.
Happy eating guys,