Chicken ( breasts, tenders ) -- 2 lb
Kashmiri red chilli powder -- 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder -- 1/2 tsp
Egg -- 1 no.
Salt -- to taste
Ginger garlic paste -- 1 1/2 tsp
Red food colour -- a bigger pinch
Lemon juice -- 1 tsp
All purpose flour -- 3/4 tbsp
Corn flour -- 3/4 tbsp
Oil -- to deep fry
All purpose flour -- 1/2 tsp
Thick yoghurt /curd -- 1/2 cup
For seasoning :
Oil -- 1 tsp
Green chillies -- 2 nos, whole
Curry leaves -- 1 sprig
Onions -- julienne , 1/4 cup (optional)
Capsicum / bell pepper -- julienne , 1/4 cup ( optional )
** Onions, capsicum are optional, I din't use.
- Cut the chciken to bite size pieces and wash them thoroughly. Drain the water completely and add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt, gg paste, lemon juice ,red colour and mix them with the chicken pieces. Add in 3/4 tbsp each of corn flour and all purpose flour and the egg to the chicken and coat then evenly.
- Seal the bowl with a lid /cling film wrap and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat and fry the marinated chicken pieces in batches until crisp, say about 3 minutes .
- Remove them from the oil and place on a kitchen tissue to drain the excess oil. In a small mixing bowl, add the thick yoghurt, kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well without lumps. Add in the 1/2 tsp of all purpose flour and combine well with the yoghurt mixture. Keep aside. Now heat another kadai and add a tsp of hot oil. Do the seasoning with mustard seeds , add the green chillies once the mustard seeds stops popping and finally add the curry leaves and fry for 30 secs.
- U may now add the onions and saute until it turns translucent . Later throw in the bell peppers and stir for 30 secs.
- Pour in the yoghurt mixture and stir well. Immediately dump in the fried chicken pieces and scald well with the yoghurt mixture. U may sprinkle lil bit of salt if needed ,@ this stage. Cook the chicken until it absorbs the yoghurt mixture and starts sticking to the pan , say 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup, mint chutney..
Notes /Suggestions :
- Do not add more than a tbsp of corn , all purpose flour to the marination as it may develop a thick layer around the chicken when deep fried, and that resembles Chicken bajji..
- My H doesn't like onions , peppers in chicken 65, so I skipped adding those ingredients.
- Also I reduced the amount of yoghurt / curd since we like little drier version of chicken 65.. U may add an extra 1/2 cup, if using onions, bell peppers for this recipe.
Happy eating guys,