For Pulka :Atta / whole wheat flour -- 2 cups
oil -- 2 tbsp
Salt -- a pinch ( acc to taste)
Milk -- 2 tbsp
Water -- as needed to make a soft dough
- In a mixing bowl add the flour .salt ,oil & mix well. Form a well in the center. Add the milk and combine with the flour. Slowly add the water lil by lil and form a soft but a smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and rest for 20 minutes.
- Knead the dough once thoroughly and divide into equal small balls. Dust ur working space with atta and roll out the dough as thin pulkas.
- Heat a tawa prior to rolling and add the roti once it's hot. Flip the roti when the bottom side of the roti is slightly cooked. Cook the roti for few secs and then remove the tawa and place the roti over the direct flame ( or u may use a rack on top of ur heat /stove and place the roti on top of it. Soon it would raise high and remove it from the heat and place on a plate. Repeat the same for the rest of ur dough. stack ur pulkas and cover it with a thin cloth / cheese cloth to prevent them from getting dried.. Serve with curry of ur choice.
For Vellai Kurma :
Potatoes -- 5 nos, small
Peas -- 1/4 cup, cooked / frozen
Carrots -- 1/4 cup, chopped
Beans -- 1/4 cup , chopped
Cauliflower -- 1/2 cup, chopped
Onion -- 1/4 th , finely julienned
Tomato -- 1 no, cut into cubes
Coconut milk -- 1/4 cup
Coriander Powder -- 2 tsp
Oil -- 1 tbsp
Salt -- to taste
To grind :Cinnamon -- 1 piece
Cardamom -- 1 nos.
Cloves -- 2 nos, small or 1 no. medium
Ginger -- 1/4 in
Garlic -- 4 -- 5 cloves
Pottukadalai / Dahlia split -- 1 tbsp
Coconut -- 1 tbsp (optional)
Curd/ Yoghurt -- 1/4 cup , lightly sour
Fennel seeds -- 3/4 tsp
Poppy seeds -- 1 tsp
Shallot -- 1 no, small
Green chillies -- 4 nos, acc to taste
- First grind the items given to a fine paste. Heat a sauce with oil and add in the onions once the oil is hot. Cook them until turns translucent. Now add in the vegetables one by one ( cooked vegetables can be added later ) and saute well. Add a half cup of water and salt to the vegetables and cook it covered for 5 minutes.
- Later add the ground wet masala to the half cooked vegetables , coriander powder and add half more cup of water and cover the sauce pan . Cook the mixture over medium low heat for 7 minutes. This step is really must to make sure getting rid of the raw smell of the ginger garlic and the onions we've added to the masala.
- Sample the kurma for the raw taste, if its still there, cook it again for few more minutes. Add , if u have any vegetables left out ( already cooked) at this stage. Finally add the coconut milk and wait for the kurma to boil. Immediately stop the heat and remove the sauce fan from the heat. Serve it with rice / roti's..
Happy eating guys,