Yet an another biryani recipe that's gonna blow all seafood lover's like me. Though ,it may sound like a tedious task, but there's nothing so hard about it. U can do this biriyani within half an hour ,regardless of soaking n marination . Anyways, marination can be done in a minute.So, an easy job but well paid at the end. I've added a good half cup of thick yoghurt to make the biriyani moist and to give some lil bit of sour ( my yoghurt was very fresh, not sour ) , u may reduce the amount of yoghurt if u wish, nevertheless it was awesome.. So, here's to u guys..
Yoghurt /curd -- 1/2 cup
Oil -- as needed
Basmati Rice -- 2 cups
Mint leaves -- handful, chopped
Coriander leaves -- handful, chopped
Saffron colour -- mixed in water / milk
Biryani masala -- 1 tsp ,optional
Whole garam masala ( cinnamon,cloves,cardamom, ) -- each 1 no. , cumin seeds--1/2 tsp
To marinate :
Green chillies -- 2 nos, slit opened
Cinnamon -- 1 " piece
Cloves -- 2 nos.
Cardamom -- 1 no.
Salt -- to taste
GG paste -- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder -- a pinch
Red chilli powder -- 1 tsp
Coriander powder -- 2 tsp (optional)
Oil -- 1 tsp
- Soak the basmati rice for min 30 minutes. Add the cleaned shrimp to the bowl and all the ingredients given in the seperate table one by one and combine well. Let them marinate for 30 minutes. (better place inside the fridge )
- Bring 6 cups of water to a rolling boil and add the whole garam masala's and a tsp of oil + cumin seeds.let them again boil for a couple of minutes. While the water is boiling, Heat the biriyani pan /vessel with a tbsp of oil and add the marinates spice mixture with the shrimp.
- Saute them well for 4 minutes, by the time, the shrimp would get half cooked, Remove the cooked shrimp mixture to a plate and add the curd, biriyani powder, salt to the biriyani pan one by one and cook for a good 3 minutes / until the mixture turns gravy.
- Finally add the cooked shrimp mixture into the curd mixture on the pan and combine well.. Add the mint and coriander leaves and mix well. Keep the heat in medium low and check on ur water pot. Now that the water is boiling, rinse the rice and add into the boiling water and let them cook for almost 90 % . Drain the water, remove the garam masala's and collect the rice using a mesh /colander without any water and place it aside.
- Add the hot rice on the top of the shrimp masala and sprinkle the saffron colour evenly across the pan. Cover the pan with a tight lid and cook for just 5 minutes over medium low flame.(Do not overcook the rice at any cost )
- Once done, open the lid and wait for the biriyani to cool for 5 minutes. USe a fork, fluff the rice and serve ..
Onion Raita :
Onion -- finely chopped , 1/2 no.
Tomato -- 1/2 no, finely chopped, optional ( i din't add)
Green chillies -- 1 no, finely chopped
Curd /Yogurt -- 1 cup ,slightly whisked
Salt -- to taste
Lemon juice -- half a lemon
Roasted cumin powder -- 1/4 tsp ( may be a little less )
Hing -- a big pinch
Carrot -- finely grated, 1 no.
- Add the chopped onion and the salt to a bowl and let them sit for 1 or 2 minutes. By the time, it might leak out some water, u may discard that water, if u don't like the raw smell of the onion. else
- Retain the water and add the ingredients one by one except curd/yoghurt and combine well.
- Finally add the whisked yoghurt and combine well.Serve with briyani /Pulao.
Happy eating guys,