Baby Potatoes -- 6 to 8 nos.
Onion -- 1 big , chopped into cubes
Tomato Puree --3/4 cup
Garam masala powder -- 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon stick -- 1/2 " ,Cloves -- 1 no. , Cardamom -- 1 no. , Black Cardamom -- 1 no. -- Dry roast and grind to a fine powder and measure about 1/4 tsp and use.
Red chilli powder -- 3/4 tsp
Coriander Powder -- 1 tsp
Cumin powder -- 1/2 tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder -- a big pinch
Ginger garlic paste -- 1 tsp
Yoghurt /curd -- 1/3 cup
Salt -- to taste
Kasoori methi -- 1 tsp , crushed
To Grind :Cashews -- 10 nos. (Presoak atleast 1/2 an hr )
For Seasoning :Butter / oil -- as needed
Cumin seeds -- 1 tsp
Bay leaves -- 2 leaves ,torn
- Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender and allow them to cool. Peel the skin and prick them using a toothpick in several places.
- Heat a tsp of butter and fry the boiled potatoes in medium low heat until they turn slight golden on the sides . Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Grind the soaked cashews using very little water and make fine paste.
- Heat the pan with oil and saute the onions for 4 to 5 minutes till they turn transparent and glossy. Let it cool for 5 minutes and grind them to a fine paste.
- Now comes the preparation of Dum aloo. Heat a pan with butter / oil and do the seasoning with cumin seeds ,bay leaves. Add the GG paste and saute well for a minute or till u get rid of the raw smell.
- Throw in the ground onion paste ,turmeric powder and scald well until the oil separate leaving the paste.
- Pour in the tomato puree and combine well. Cover and cook the masala over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. By the time , the raw smell of the tomatoes would have been gone and oil starts leaving the sides.
- Now mix in the red chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder , garam masala powder and the salt. Scald the masala in th emixture for one or two minutes.
- Now slowly add the fried potatoes and mix well.
- Add the cashew paste as well and let the masala sit in the dum for 2 more minutes so that the potatoes absorbs some of the flavour.
- Finally add the whisked yoghurt as the top layer and just stir once for mixing well. Top the masala with the crushed kasoori methi leaves. Do not disturb / stir the mixture. Let the masala be in the medium low heat for another 5 minutes and switch off.
- Combine well and serve..
- U may also add the finely chopped onion and tomato instead of the paste and puree. But ,by this way , the quantity of the gravy as well as the taste is good in my opinion.
- Adding kasoori methi at the end gives edgy taste to the masala.
- I've added store bought garam masala per my family's taste since the freshly grounded spice powder has strong and bold flavour.
- Adding cashew paste is solely to give richness for the gravy.