Black eyed beans / Kaaramani -- 1 cup
Raw banana -- 1 no.
Brinjal -- 1 no.
Potato -- 1 no.
Tomato -- 1 no. , chopped
** U may use drumstick, okra , egg plant, potato, raw banana, raw mango . I've added few of these veggie's.
Red chilli powder -- 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder -- 2tsp
Kulambu thool / Kuzhambu powder -- 2 tsp
Salt -- to taste
Tamarind pulp -- 1 1/2 tsp
Garlic cloves -- 4 nos, chopped
Sesame oil -- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds -- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds -- 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilies -- 2 nos. , broken
Onion -- 1/4 cup, chopped
Curry leaves -- 1 sprig
Hing -- a big pinch
Shredded coconut -- 3 tsp
Shallots -- 1 no.
Fennel seeds -- 1/3 tsp
- Dry roast the balck eyed peas till it turns golden brown and soak over night. Pressure cook the black eyed beans along with the chopped veggie's for 2 whistles. U may also seperately cook the veggie's if u feel 2 whistles would break it.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt , coriander powder / kulambu thool in the tamarind pulp and combine well.
- Take a kulambu kadai and do the seasoning with the ingredients given in the following order , mustard seeds , fenugreek seeds , Curry leaves ,dry red chillies, and hing. finally add the onions and scald well.
- Drop in the tomatoes and cook till it disintegrates and mix well . POur in the tamarind mixture and bring them a boil.
- POur in the beans + veggie mixture into the boiling kulambu . Combine well. let them come to a boil again. Finally stir in the ground coconut paste and add a cup of water. Cover and continue to cook for 6 more minutes until th eraw smell of the shallots dis apears and the kulambu thickens.
- Relish with hot rice and paapads.