Source : Mom
Ingredients for Bisi bele bath powder :
Dry red chillies -- 4 to 5 nos, acc to taste
Channa dhal -- 1 tbsp
Urad dhal -- 1/2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds -- < 1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds -- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon -- 1/2 in piece
Cloves -- 1 no.
Hing -- a pinch
Poppy seeds -- 2 tsp
Coconut -- 2 tbsp
Oil -- 1 tsp
- Heat a tsp of oil and fry the dry red chillies , cinnamon, cloves , poppy seeds, hing, channa dal, urad dal ,coriander seeds and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Transfer all these to a bowl and cool. next fry the fenugreek seeds for few seconds and add to the already fried items.
- Finally add the shredded coconut and fry until it becomes dry over medium low flame. Cool everything and grind to a fine powder. ( I like it coarsely )
Ingredients for Bisi bele bath :
Rice --Preferably Sona masoori -- 1 cup
Thuvar /Toor dhal -- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
Mixed vegetables -- 1 cup ( carrot, beans, Gobi ,peas ,drumstick ..)
Tamarind -- small lemon sized , soaked in a cup of water
Salt -- to taste
Jaggery -- 1 tsp (optional)
Bisibelebath powder -- 4 tbsp
Cashews -- 10 nos, broken
Ghee -- 1 tsp
Coriander leaves -- a sprig
Turmeric powder -- a big pinch
Onions -- 1 /2 no, chopped
Tomato -- 1 no, chopped
For tempering :
Oil -- 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds -- 3/4 tsp
Dry red chillies -- 2 nos, broken
Hing -- a big pinch
Curry leaves -- a sprig
- Cook the rice and dhal seperately until they fall flat and keep it seperately . ( I like to cook this way , u may cook both rice and dhal together for 3 whistles. else, u may first cook the dhal for a whistle, then remove the pressure and add the rice and keep for 2 whistles )
- Heat a big mouthed kadai with the oil and do the tempering with the ingredients given above , mustard seeds , dry red chillies , hing and curry leaves . Fry the cashews with little of ghee in a seperate pan and keep it aside along with the ghee.
- Add the onions and scald well . Then drop in the chopped tomatoes along with the required salt and cook until it disintegrates. Now add the mixed vegetables and scald well in the seasoned oil.
- Squeeze the tamarind pulp with a cup of water and keep the juice ready. Pour in the juice to the kadai and add 1/2 cup of water more. Add the turmeric powder , Bisi bele bath powder, jaggery and mix well without any lumps.
- Bring this mixture to a rapid boil and let the veggie's also cook . when it's done , add the cooked rice and dhal to the boiling mixture and combine well , again without forming any lumps.. Add the coriander leaves too. Check for the salt and adjust accordingly.
- Don worry, if ur bisi bele bath is watery, it tends to get solidify once it comes to room temp. ( Actually, bisi bele bath has to be watery for better results @ room temp .)
- Finally drizzle the ghee on the top of the rice and add the fried cashews. Mix well and serve with a papad..
Sending this to BOOKMARKED EVENT by Aipi n Priya
Happy eating guys,