Masala vada is one of my all time fav snack and it can be made in jiffy. I realised just a few days back that I don have this recipe in my space .Just a simple recipe would turn good if one's dough and the frying part is done good. Seriously, I like to speak out / talk rather than putting it on the paper.. Am a lazy lazy gal.. So, with no more writing, let's cut to the chase...
To grind :
Channa Dhal --- 1 1/2 cups
Dry red chillies -- 2 nos.
Green chillies -- 1 nos.
Saunf / Fennel seeds -- 1 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon -- 1 inch piece
To combine :
Onion -- 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Garlic -- 2 tbsp , finely sliced ( optional )
Ginger -- 1 tbsp , very finely chopped / grated
Green chilly -- 1 no, finely chopped
Curry leaves -- 1 sprig
Coriander leaves -- 1 sprigSalt -- to taste
Hing -- a big pinch
- Soak the channa dhal for minimum 45 mts to 2 hours . Uing a blender / mixie , grind the ingredients in the following order.
- Add the Dry red chillies , saunf and the cinnamon and give a nice blend to a coarse paste . Then add the green chillies and give a whip. Add the soaked channa dhal but reserve half a hand of soaked channa dal to combine later.
- Now grind everything to a coarse paste ,sprinkling very little water if u r unable to run the mixie / blender. ( make sure it's a tight thick paste.. i.e .. Literally, there should not be more than few drops of water )
- Transfer the coarsely ground paste in a ixing bowl and drop in all the ingredients one by one from the table " To Combine " and mix well with the paste. Finally add reserved channa dal to this mixture and combine well.
- Heat a kadai with oil over medium heat for 3 minutes ..( most probably !!! -- Check the temperature of the oil b4 dropping the vadai's. Oil should not be smoking hot .)
- Take a small sized ball of this dough on ur palm and press / apply pressure on top by closing ur palm with ur other hand. Drop it in the oil and cook for a minute or so on both sides until they turn golden brown..Place the vadai's on a kitchen tissue and drain the excess oil.
- Njoy with chutneys , Pickles or relish as such.. Hot Hot !!!
- Adding cinnamon is optional, I like adding both cinnamon and Fennel seeds. U may add any one to suit ur taste buds.
- If u in a hurry, just soak the dhal for 30 to 45 minutes..
Happy eating guys,